As most of you know, aside from ophthalmology, my passions include reading and living a healthy lifestyle. Important habits include eating foods that are good for my body and staying active. In this article I will discuss some foods that will help keep your eyes healthy.
Here are 5 foods that should be part of your diet for healthy eyes:
- Leafy green vegetables like kale and spinach, collard greens, broccoli and peas. These foods are high in lutein and zeaxanthin and may lower your risk for age-related macular degeneration. These nutrients are also found in eggs.
- Citrus fruits like oranges and lemons are all high in vitamin C. This vitamin may delay cataract formation and age-related macular degeneration.
- Beans of all kinds, for example lima and kidney beans, contain zinc which may help protect your eyes from exposure to light over a lifetime. Long-term light exposure is implicated in cataract formation (so wear your sunglasses when outdoors too!).
- Cold water fish like salmon, tuna and sardines have a high concentration of omega-3 fatty acids, which may reduce the risk of developing age-related macular degeneration.
- Orange fruits and vegetables – yes I would never forget carrots! These foods are high in beta-carotene which help with night vision.
It's a challenge to stay on track during the holidays, but keep these foods in mind even when indulging in holiday treats! I wish all of you a very happy new year!
Source: AAO EyeSmart September 2018
Services we offer
- LASIK starting at $799/eye
- Cataract surgery with advanced technology implants
- Diabetic eye care
- Glaucoma and Macular Degeneration management
Call 313.563.3937 to Experience Excellence in Eye Care
Michelle Akler, MD
Akler Eye Center
Sterling Heights & Dearborn
Akler Eye Center is one of the top laser eye & LASIK surgery centers in Detroit, Michigan.