Dear friends, patients and family,
This month, I would like to update everyone on COVID vaccination – which vaccines are available, key bullet points about the vaccine and how you can schedule a vaccination. We are asked about this frequently so I thought it would be helpful to put all the information in one place. The eligibility information applies to the State of Michigan.
ELIGIBLE NOW: OVER AGE 50 WITH MEDICAL CONDITIONS, EVERYONE OVER AGE 65
ELIGIBLE MARCH 22: EVERYONE OVER AGE 50, AGE 16 AND UP WITH MEDICAL CONDITIONS
ELIGIBLE APRIL 5: EVERYONE AGE 16 AND UP
Vaccines Available – all effective against COVID-19 – All at no cost to you
· Pfizer (age 16 and up), Moderna (age 18 and up)
· Allows your cells to make the COVID spike viral protein which your immune system then recognizes and makes antibodies against the virus
· Not a live vaccine
· Does not change your DNA or stay in your body
· 2 doses required
· Johnson & Johnson (age 18 and up)
· Uses a non-infectious cold virus to have your own cells produce the spike protein which your immune system recognizes and makes antibodies against
· 1 dose
· Less likely to cause muscle aches, fatigue, fever than the MRNA vaccines
How to Get Vaccinated – Helpful websites and phone numbers
· CDC Vaccine Finder – search by zip code https://vaccinefinder.org/search/
· Community Website – search by state https://www.findashot.org
· Register through myChart at Beaumont – can do even if not a current patient https://www.beaumont.org/coronavirus/vaccine-program
· Vaccinations at Southfield Service Center and Beaumont Dearborn
· Call Beaumont COVID Hotline to schedule a vaccine appointment 800-592-4784
· St. Joseph Mercy Health System https://www.stjoeshealth.org/health-and-wellness/covid-19/schedule-vaccine
· Ford Field community vaccination site – online through the meijers link https://clinic.meijer.com, or text EndCOVID to 75049 or call 888-535-6136 (press 1)
I strongly urge all of you to get vaccinated. Please feel free to talk to me or any of the Akler Eye staff about our experiences being vaccinated.
I wish you and your families continued health and look forward to seeing you all in the clinic soon!
We at Akler Eye Center look forward to taking care of all of your eye care needs as we navigate this “new normal” together.
Michelle Akler, MD
Akler Eye Center
Sterling Heights & Dearborn
Akler Eye Center is one of the top laser eye & LASIK surgery centers in Detroit, Michigan.